Music for Dementia: Celebrating Holidays with the Whole Family
November 22, 2021
“It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!”: Celebrating the Holiday Season with Music & Magic
It’s November and officially the launch of the holiday season! From this moment on, holiday excitement is everywhere and is contagious! We’re sure you’re already in planning mode — from dusting off the decorations and ornaments to getting out your favourite cozy slippers and Christmas sweaters and starting your shopping list. But what can put you in the total holiday spirit more than Christmas carols, sentimental songs, and wintry-tinged tunes? The answer is nothing. . .
Music Excites and Ignites the Christmas Spirit
We’ve spoken recently about the importance of music to the wellbeing and happiness of those with dementia. The great writer, Edna Ferber, once wrote, “Christmas isn’t a season. It’s a feeling.” That is pretty hard to argue with, since is there anything that makes you start feeling the holiday spirit more so than Christmas music? We feel that it’s nearly impossible to hear popular Christmas songs come on the radio and not hum or sing along. . .Whether it’s Frank, Dean, Bing or Mariah (whichever era you’re from or love!), nothing rekindles that fire in your heart for the upcoming festivities more than listening to the old standards.
We thought we’d share our favourite holiday playlist. While it’s nearly impossible to only pick a few, here’s our top 20 to get the holiday season off the ground with the right sound:
- “Here Comes Santa Claus” by Gene Autry
- “White Christmas” by Darlene Love
- “Little Saint Nick” by Beach Boys
- “Frosty the Snowman” by Jimmy Durante
- “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms
- “We Need a Little Christmas” by Angela Lansbury
- “Christmas” by Darlene Love
- “Jingle Bell Rock” by Brenda Lee
- “Santa Baby” by Eartha Kitt
- “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” by The Ronettes
- “Holly Jolly Christmas” by Burl Ives
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Frank Sinatra
- “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley
- “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano
- “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Johnny Mathis
- “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey
- “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
- “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams
- “Winter Wonderland” by Louis Armstrong
Relish Products Make Shopping Easy This Season
This list is merely a sampling of the old standards that Relish [along with throngs of Christmas lovers] loves — all you or a friend or caregiver needs to do is save a preset Christmas radio station or Google some Christmas playlists to download onto a compatible USB and you will be ready to become a holiday songbird with Relish’s NEW Radio.
The Relish radio has large buttons, contrasting colours, and an easy-to-use control panel — features that are sure to make the listening experience easy. With a volume knob that will never go to zero, it minimises confusion on whether the radio is on or not. Relish’s Radio is the perfect holiday gift to bring the joy of music to life. If you haven’t seen it already, the user can personalise their music choices with a panel that allows for channels to be named to reflect the listener’s musical preferences.
To purchase the Relish Radio in time for the holidays [before it runs out!], click here. Or, take a gander at our full range of products with perfect gifts for all stages of dementia before the holiday goose is cooked!